Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Postcard from Antigua, Guatemala...

The things we Americans take for granted!

I've been in Antigua, Guatemala, for nearly two weeks and experienced my first warm shower the other day. Most days, showers here are lukewarm at best and brisk cold at worst. Somehow the two electrical wires that power the showerhead heater were clicking on all cylinders (hot water tanks are nearly non-existent in Guatemala). Nothing like a warm shower to put one in good spirits.

Later in Spanish immersion class, and using my limited vocabulary, I mentioned being happy to have had a warm shower that day. To which my teacher Isabel shared with me that her family only has cold water at her house. Her family is poor by Guatemalan standards (she lives at home with her widowed father and siblings) and most poor families here use only cold water for showers, washing hands, etc.

And to think I had been complaining.

There are so many luxuries we in the U.S. take for granted. Having perspective helps us to better appreciate the things we are privileged to have in our country and give thanks to God for this abundance of blessings. Having perspective also makes us more sensitive to the things others go without each and every day, pay better attention to the needs of the poor and help when we can.

I pray every day for you and your family.

Peace...

Deacon Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment